Two workers for an asbestos removal company were not only injured but also exposed to asbestos when a Mineola building's ceiling collapsed during a renovation of the property. According to authorities, 17 other individuals were in the building at the time of the collapse but escaped the incident without injury. The event took place at the former site for social services in Mineola, New York, a building that is now being converted to a family court.
According to officials, the environmental cleaning company workers were prepping the building for the removal of asbestos when a piece of concrete that had been reinforced with metal rods fell. This purportedly trapped two workers and caused asbestos to suffuse throughout the site.